top of page
Reception class has the youngest of our pupils in it, with children aged 4 and 5. The children are taught a different curriculum focusing on 17 areas known as the Early Learning Goals. We are very proud of the progress our pupils make. Please scroll down to download useful documents.
Class Teacher, EYFS Lead & Literacy Lead
Mrs E. Ward
Hello, I'm Mrs Ward.
I teach Reception class. I Love teaching but when I'm not in school I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. I love animals and I have a dog called Biffy and lots of pet reptiles! I find joy in reading, visiting the zoo, dancing, watching movies and being outdoors.
Hello, I'm Mrs O'Neill.
I enjoy spending time with my family. I love tennis and looking after my horse at the farm. I am passionate about Early Years and supporting pupils with their communication and language.
YrR Home Learning Anchor
Class Dojo online learning journal allows you to view your child’s observations and photographs from their time in Reception almost as they happen! Class DoJo allows you to add observations and photographs of your own as well as share your comments. We love to hear about learning and WOW moments from home to share with your child and their peers in school.
We use DoJo points in class to help us remember our 3 school rules.
We use Supersonic Phonics Friends programme to provide daily engaging and active phonics lessons. In phonics, we teach children that the letters of the alphabet represent sounds and that these are put together to make words. The children learn to recognise the different graphemes that they will see when they are reading or writing.
Our phonics teaching starts in Reception and follows a very specific sequence that allows our children to build on their previous phonic knowledge and master specific phonic strategies as they move through school. As a result, all our children are able to tackle any unfamiliar words that they might discover. At Pewithall we also model these strategies in shared reading and writing both inside and outside of the phonics lesson and across the curriculum.
We learn a new phoneme everyday in Reception class. Our phonics lessons contain a mix of songs, actions, games and more.
EYFS Policy & Philosophy at Pewithall. We deliver an EYFS curriculum through immersion in high quality teaching alongside an enriched environment. Our philosophy is to nurture every child’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, developing both skills and confidence as they take their first steps on their own unique journey of lifelong learning.
At Pewithall we follow the EYFS framework (2020). Within this framework there are four guiding principles which shape our practice. These are:
1. Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident, and self-assured.
2. Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
3. Children learn and develop well in enabling environments with teaching and support from adults, who respond to their individual interests and needs and help them to build their learning over time. Children benefit from a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.
4. Children develop and learn at different rates. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
EYFS learning and development requirements.
Our curriculum encompasses seven areas of learning and development. All areas of learning and development are important and interconnected. Three areas are particularly important for building a foundation for igniting children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, forming relationships, and thriving. These are called the prime areas:
• communication and language
• physical development
• personal, social, and emotional development.
Four areas help children to strengthen and apply the prime areas. These are called the specific areas:
• understanding the world
• expressive arts and design
Throughout their time in the Reception Year our children partake in an ambitious curriculum which is designed in a sequential way to ensure progress towards the end of reception goals. These goals are defined as Early Learning Goals (ELGs) As previously outlined our curriculum incorporates learning through play, learning by adults modelling, by observing each other and through guided learning and direct teaching. It is also important to highlight that our plans are flexible to allow us to respond quickly to children’s new interests and/or needs. Weaving throughout the EYFS curriculum at Pewithall are three Characteristics of Effective Learning.
• playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’
• active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties and enjoy achievements
• creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things
These elements underpin how we reflect on each child’s development and adjust our practice accordingly. Supporting children in their individual learning behaviour and observing the context of children’s play is essential.
Please download our curriculum booklet and take a look at our long term planning for 2023-2024.
Check out our curricular goals.
Some of the amazing resources, tools and websites we use to compliment the delivery of our curriculum.
Our school rules & rewards
In Reception class we follow our school's GOLDEN RULES. We get DOJO points for following school and class rules.
bottom of page